Cruise and Beach Destinations
in the Caribbean, Mexico & Beyond
Mexican Riviera

2021 Pacific Hurricane Season Tips

The eastern Pacific hurricane season officially begins May 15th and ends Nov. 30th every year. The peak months of the season are July through September.

The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts 12 to 18 named storms, five to 10 of which become hurricanes and two to five of them becoming major hurricanes in 2021. The NOAA says there is a 70 percent probability of these predictions taking place.

By comparison, the average from 1991 to 2020 has been 15 named storms and eight hurricanes, of which four became major hurricanes. So the NOAA is predicting slightly fewer hurricanes than normal.

There is a 45 percent chance of a near-normal season, 35 percent chance of a below-normal season and 20 percent chance of an above-normal season, the NOAA.

By the end of July 2021, the eastern Pacific has had five tropical storms and two hurricanes.

Eastern Pacific tropical storms and hurricanes mainly impact the Mexican and Central American coasts, which in turn impacts cruise and beach vacations.

In 2020, the eastern Pacific had 13 tropical storms and four hurricanes. The Caribbean had 15 tropical storms and 14 hurricanes.